Friday, August 12, 2011

Introduction

Hello, I am starting this blog to share stories about our fur kids. They are all rescues. We live on 15 acres and my father in law lives on the property as well. Between us we have 12 dogs, 3 cats and 3 horses.

It is my hope that maybe this blog will inspire someone, even just one person, to adopt an animal from a shelter and save a life. HALF OF ALL ANIMALS DO NOT MAKE IT OUT OF SHELTERS ALIVE.

All of our kids got a second chance and I honestly think they know that. They are each special and different in their own way and we love each of them dearly. My husband and I both work full time and I also have a second job. And our fur kids are a full time job. It takes a lot of time and money to take care of them all but it's worth it. So here you go..here is a little about four of our girls that live in the house with us.

Missy-she is a Jack Russel and my husband's baby. He had her before we met and they are so much alike it is crazy. She ran into my mother in law's house one day a few years ago as a puppy. They took her to my husband and they have been best friends ever since. She is true to her breed-very hyper although she is slowing down some at 2 years old. She is very smart and loves to chase everything..bees, rabbits and deer. She gets cranky when she is tired and is the "boss" of the house. She is great with other dogs and especially protective of our Chihuahua Lola. The only dog she hasn't liked is our English Bulldog Snort. She hated him from the moment he walked in to the very sad moment he left and crossed over the rainbow bridge.

Angel-she is a Pekingese/Spaniel mix that is about 10 years old. Her nickname from  her dad is Big Hungry. She goes crazy at breakfast and dinner times. She actualy herds you with her nose to move you faster to get her food. She was pulled from a shelter and lived with her wonderful foster mom until I adopted her 5 years ago. Her and I lived by ourselves for years(plus a crazy cat) and are very close. I lost my job not long after I adopted her. That was very hard and at times I felt like she was all I had. And there were days I wouldn't want to get out of bed or off the couch but I had to because she wanted to go out. She would get me off my butt and out off my funk. She is very mellow and has a beautiful coat that I trim during the summer. I am not great at it but she feels better and it saves us a lot of money. I think I do okay. She loves eating bugs, especially grasshoppers. She doesn't really like cats but once she gets used to them she is okay.  She has a ton of stuffed animals that she "hides" from us. And she loves her swimming pool. She is a little ticked at her dad right now because her pool got destroyed and he bought her a really tiny one.

Lola-she is our Chihuahua and we think she is 4 or 5. I call her Lola Bean sometimes..not sure why but she is a true DIVA.  I used to drive about 150 miles a day to work and on my way home..about 2 miles from our house this little black blur ran out in front of my car. I stopped and there she was. There were no houses anywhere around and I think someone dumped her which is common where we live because it is so rural. She loves dogs-the bigger the better and I don't think she realizes she is only 7lbs. She doesn't bark and is pretty mellow also. She loves to snuggle in blankets and would be content if her and I never got out of bed. She is terrified of gun shots and thunderstorms. She wasn't scared of storms until we had tornadoes rip through our area early spring. She has a tear in her ear where someone or something got her but she is fine. I can't imagine ever dumping a dog or any animal on the side of the road but especially not one that is only 7lbs. That just floors me. She isn't too fond of car rides and we think it's because she wad dumped.

Reba-she is our newest addition and a Husky/Shepard mix. We also call her Monkey or Goofy. When she wants our attention or Missy's attention she makes these noises like a monkey. Honestly we hope she grows out of that. At 6 months old she is 50lbs and a true puppy. She is really goofy. Must puppies are but we think that is just how she is and will continue to be. She is a great dog and very smart. Her and Missy are best friends. They play all day. She likes playing with Lola and is very gently with her but we still keep a close eye on them. She doesn't mess with Angel. Angel isn't too fond of her and will snap occasionally. Reba wandered into my brother in law's yard and he brought her to us. She loves socks, just my socks, and loves her big rope chew toys we get her. We have had some casualties due to her chewing but nothing too bad. The worst was our spindles on our porch. We built our house a year ago and 50% of the spindles will have to be replaced.


So that's a little snapshot about some our fur kids..

1 comment:

  1. Nice story to read. I'll bet that you couldnt be pryed away form any of your pets with a crowbar. They are very lucky to have people as nice as you and Patrick are. I always have a soft spot in my heart for animals that have been turned out.

    If we didn't already have the two that we have now I would try to adopt a couple out of our animal control shelter. We have a male & a female Maltese. I think you have seen Killer and not sure about Bubbles.

    People that abuse animals, especially the little ones, should be strung up by their privates and left to suffer like most strays.

    Hope you and Patrick are doing well as a maried couple now. Sometimes those rings turn things around. I hope that you two stay happy for the rest of your lives.

    Toe

    ReplyDelete