Monday, September 26, 2011

Saying goodbye...

I think the hardest thing about having a pet is knowing that more than likely you will out live them and have to say goodbye. Sometimes you know what is coming and have time to wrap your head around, other times it happens fast and unexpected. Either way it's hard.

Sunday started like any other Sunday..getting the dogs fed and the horses stalking me for their breakfast. We noticed our big mare Twinkle Toes was rolling a lot. They do that sometimes but she was doing it every few minutes. We went to town for just a little bit and came back to see her laying down. That's when I knew it wasn't good. Horses can't lay down for long periods off time. I went to get her up and noticed she was sweating really bad and breathing hard. She was also getting really agitated by the other two. So much so she was chasing them...she never runs. I had to get them separated and fast. Then I ran inside and called our horse vet. He told me to keep her walking and he would be there as soon as he could. Luckily both of my father in laws came to help me. One of them walked her and kept her up for an hour until the vet could get there. That seemed like the longest hour of my life.

The vet came and gave her medicine. Her heart beat was very fast indicating she was in a lot of pain. He did some exams and found she either had a tumor or her stomach was twisted.   Neither one was good. Even if we would of had thousands of dollars to get her to UGA for surgery, surgery is never a good option for horses. Plus she was so old that wasn't really an option. So I made the only choice I could. We said goodbye to Twinkle Toes. She went very fast, so fast the vet was shocked. That told us we did make the right decision. She is out of pain and running around some pasture up in heaven now probably bossing every one around. It hit me pretty hard yesterday, but especially this morning. She is always the first horse I see when I open the basement door to feed them. She always waited for me, sometimes patiently..sometime not so much. This morning no one was waiting for me.

Goodbye big girl....

No comments:

Post a Comment